Re: Use of sequence rather than index scan for one text column on one instance of a database - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Bill Kirtley
Subject Re: Use of sequence rather than index scan for one text column on one instance of a database
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi Tom-

Thanks for the response, but I'm not sure what to do with it.

Are you suggesting we might have some transaction (or residue) that's
hanging around and causing this problem?

We do have transactions that run on the order of  a couple minutes at
times.  In the past, under heavy db load they have piled up on top of
each other, but as far as I can tell they've finished.

Is there something more I can look at to try and diagnose this?  As I
mentioned we do have a workaround of copying the column and building
an index on the new column ... is it time to take that step?  And if
so, should we be monitoring for this sort of thing on an ongoing basis?

Are there different options we can pass to CREATE INDEX to build and
index that would be usable?  Should we be stopping our application
while applying indices (we don't always) to ensure the db is quiescent
at the time?

Regards,
-Bill Kirtley