owner as namespace? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From James Harper
Subject owner as namespace?
Date
List pgsql-general
Under Microsoft SQL, a fully qualified table name is
db.owner.tablename (well actually, linked_server.db.owner.table, but we
won't go there :)

Under Postgres, you can create schemas to simulate different databases
within the one actual database, but as far as I can tell, the owner does
not contribute to the namespace at all. I can't have two views with the
same name in the same database but with different owners (eg
mydb.james.myview and mydb.fred.myview). Can someone tell me if this is
correct?

Assuming I'm correct, how well might it work if I created schema's in
the form db_owner, eg mydb_james and mydb_fred, to emulate this? There
would also be the schema of the dbo which mydb_dbo, which is also
searched given an unqualified table name. If I'm logged in as james, my
search path would be mydb_james then mydb_dbo.

?

Thanks

James