Re: Sponsorship Page Language - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: Sponsorship Page Language
Date
List pgsql-www
On Jan 11, 2013, at 11:02 AM, Dave Page wrote:

Hi

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 3:55 PM, Jonathan S. Katz
<jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:
Hello,

When looking at the sponsorship page
(http://www.postgresql.org/about/sponsors/) I noticed a few things regarding
the language that I've attempted to clean up with this patch.

The first regards the ordering of the sponsors - they are ordered randomly,
not alphabetically, so I corrected the language up top.

I would think a better option would be to fix the ordering so the page
works as intended.

I discussed with Magnus off-list about that prior to submitting the page, he suggested to change the wording

The second has to do with the language on the bottom of the page discussing
the sponsorship levels and selection process.  I reworded the sentences to
more clearly state the purpose of the sponsorship levels are and how they
are selected, maintaing a link to the guidelines on the wiki.

The wording there was pretty carefully chosen after a long discussion
in the sponsor committee, so it shouldn't be changed on a whim. That
said, I don't actually think your wording is an improvement (though, I
may be biased as if memory serves I wrote that's there now).

Typo aside in the original text, reading through it did not make sense:

"Sponsorship levels are meant to provide the general public an idea of how levels are determined."

From that I glean that sponsorship levels tell me how sponsorship levels are determined.  Um...?

That said I understand that there was thought that went into the wording, particularly on the Wiki, thus I do not intend to throw everything out "on a whim," but that sentence is not clear at all.

I've included the patch with Thom's suggestions & fixes.

Jonathan

Attachment