Re: [HACKERS] Slow count(*) again... - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Slow count(*) again...
Date
List pgsql-performance
2011/2/3 Mladen Gogala <mladen.gogala@vmsinfo.com>:
> Chris Browne wrote:
>>
>> Well, the community declines to add hints until there is actual
>> consensus on a good way to add hints.
>>

> OK. That's another matter entirely.   Who should make that decision? Is
> there a committee or a person who would be capable of making that decision?

Because there are not consensus about hints, then hints are not in pg.

And community development must be based on consensus. There are not second way.

Hints are not a win from some reasons.

Situation isn't immutable. There are a lot of features, that was
rejected first time - like replication. But it needs a different
access. You have to show tests, use cases, code and you have to
satisfy all people, so your request is good and necessary. Argument,
so other databases has this feature is a last on top ten.

>> Nobody has ever proposed a way to add hints where consensus was arrived
>> at that the way was good, so...
>>

> So, I will have to go back on my decision to use Postgres and re-consider
> MySQL? I will rather throw away the effort invested in studying Postgres
> than to risk an unfixable application downtime.  I am not sure about the
> world domination thing, though. Optimizer hints are a big feature that
> everybody else has and Postgres does not have because of religious reasons.

it's not correct from you. There is a real arguments against hints.

you can try a edb. There is a other external modul

http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/contrib-plantuner-enable-PostgreSQL-planner-hints-td1924794.html

Regards

Pavel Stehule