Re: Stange IO error while working with large objects. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dmitriy Igrishin
Subject Re: Stange IO error while working with large objects.
Date
List pgsql-general
Hey Merlin,

2011/3/30 Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>
On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 7:37 AM, Dmitriy Igrishin <dmitigr@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've checked the disk with badblocs(8). The results are:
>
> File /pgsql/9.0/data0/base/16386/11838.5 (inode #3015588, mod time Wed Mar
> 30 13:13:13 2011)
>   has 50 multiply-claimed block(s), shared with 1 file(s):
>     <The bad blocks inode> (inode #1, mod time Wed Mar 30 15:23:19 2011)
>
> After this, I've dropped the database and create a new one. Problem is
> solved.
> All the same it is interesting, why there was such problem? I am disturbed
> because
> I intend to use large objects in production...

It's very unlikely the problem is postgres.  I give it equal odds on
hard disk issue (did you check smart?) or lvm bug.  I'd consider
stress testing this storage stack for a while.
Thanks for the reply. It seems to me a hardware problem too. I'll check SMART.

merlin

--
// Dmitriy.