Re: Probable faq: need some benchmarks of pgsql vr.s mysql - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From MARK CALLAGHAN
Subject Re: Probable faq: need some benchmarks of pgsql vr.s mysql
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
The "insert buffer" in InnoDB accelerates this workload. It buffers
changes in a special b-tree to avoid disk IO during secondary index
maintenance. For my workloads the special b-tree is able to capture
multiple changes to blocks and is likely reduce the IO requirements
for the application. Even without that benefit it allows the server to
absorb workload spikes as the disk reads for secondary index
maintenance are deferred.

This is done for inserts in MySQL 5.1 and for inserts, updates and
deletes in MySQL 5.5. This won't allow InnoDB to match TokuDB in
performance, but it should provide much better throughput than you
would expect from an engine that does update in place.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=insert+buffer+innodb