Re: mysql 2 pg script... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Allan Kamau
Subject Re: mysql 2 pg script...
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 5:03 AM, andrew1 <andrew1@mytrashmail.com> wrote:
> hi all, I need to load mysql dump to postgre 8.3 . Is there a script to do
> that? I hoped to use my2pg.pl , but couldn't find it.
> It looks like it's not a part of /contrib in debian lenny.
> what shoud I use for 8.3?
>
> thanks.
>
> --
solution you need. I recall there is no one click/quick solution to
this migration as some objects may need rewriting and so on.

That said, I recall one of probable solutions would be to take a DDL
SQL dump of mySQL database objects then use a good editor to find and
replace characters that may not be found desirable by PostgreSQL.
Then take another SQL dump this time use the necessary switches to
output to the dump file data only in CSV or other simple format
excluding mysql specific statements. Then again you may need to run
you editor (hopefully sed) to find and replace or transform characters
and/or strings that may not be accepted by PostgreSQL.
You may want to start by outputting small table(s) first and see and
learn from the exercise. Always redirect standard output and standard
error to file during the imports so as to have a easier time debugging
the migration and ensure all is well.

Allan.