Re: database is bigger after dump/restore - why? (60 GB to 109 GB) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Aleksey Tsalolikhin
Subject Re: database is bigger after dump/restore - why? (60 GB to 109 GB)
Date
Re: database is bigger after dump/restore - why? (60 GB to 109 GB)
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 11:46 AM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 02/24/11 11:02 AM, Aleksey Tsalolikhin wrote:
>
>> How do I check the fillfactor on the table, please?
>
> its in the field reloptions in pg_class.   so...
>
>    select reloptions from pg_class where relname='tablename';

Thanks, John!

autovacuum_enabled=true is the only option set on this table
on both the source database and the target.

>> How do I pg_restore it so that it is 50 GB in size?  Is it a setting
>> to pg_dump or to pg_restore?
>>

> are you truncating the table before restoring, or is this a restore into a
> new database, or what?

I've tried both.  Slony truncates the table before copying it over, and I've
tryind pg_restore'ing it into a new database.  In both cases, the 50 GB
table arrives as a 100 GB table.

Aleksey