Re: Replication server timeout patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Replication server timeout patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 9:24 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> writes:
>> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 7:49 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
>>> Should we use COMMERROR instead of ERROR if we fail to put the socket in the
>>> right mode?
>
>> Maybe.
>
> COMMERROR exists to keep us from trying to send an error report down a
> failed socket.  I would assume (perhaps wrongly) that
> walsender/walreceiver don't try to push error reports across the socket
> anyway, only to the postmaster log.  If correct, there is no need for
> COMMERROR, and using it just muddies the code.

I don't think that's how it works.  The error the server sends is
copied into some of the messages in the client log, which is really
useful for debugging.

ERROR: can't connect to the server (server said: you're not authorized)

...or something like that.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company