Re: pg_filedump moved to pgfoundry - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: pg_filedump moved to pgfoundry
Date
Re: pg_filedump moved to pgfoundry  (Mark Kirkwood <mark.kirkwood@catalyst.net.nz>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
>> I'm guessing there's a PolicyŽ at Red Hat that software made on its
>> dime be GPL (v2, I'd guess), and that getting an exception would
>> involve convening its board or similarly drastic action.
>
> It's company policy, and while it *might* be possible to get an
> exception, the effort involved would far exceed the benefit we'd get out
> of it.  Moreover, despite Mark's creative argument, I really doubt that
> Red Hat would perceive any benefit to themselves in making an exception.

I'm not sure why they'd care, but it certainly doesn't seem worth
spending the amount of time arguing about it that we are.  David and
Mark are, of course, free to spend their time petitioning Red Hat for
relicensing if they are so inclined, but they aren't entitled to tell
you how to spend yours.  And even if they were, I would hope that
they'd want you to spend it committing patches rather than arguing
with your employer about relicensing of a utility that's freely
available anyway and of use to 0.1% of our user base.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company