Re: Links to previous and future versions of documentation - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Links to previous and future versions of documentation
Date
Re: Links to previous and future versions of documentation  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-www
On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 5:16 PM, Thom Brown <thombrown@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18 May 2010 14:31, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:

>>> linking between docs of each stable versions like proposed seems
>>> interesting for me.
>>
>> what would you do for stuff that is completely rearranged or
>> removed/added in newer/older versions?
>
> Yes, plus not to mention all the extra overhead that would go into
> maintaining the links when new releases are being produced.  It seems
> like a lot of work just to compare versions.  Plus I much prefer
> PostgreSQL's clean and uncluttered documentation.  I rarely need to
> compare versions, and really, if I ever wanted to, I'd change the URL:

We can easily auto-generate links *if the filename stays the same*. It
often doesn't. As an example, 9.0 has 32 pages that don't exist in
8.4, and 8.4 has 9 pages that don't exist in 9.0. The same comparison
earlier shows for example that 8.0 has 10 pages that aren't in 8.1,
and 8.1 has 74 pages that aren't in 8.0.

Some of those are the releasenote pages for point-releases, of course.
The relevant there might be that of the 9 pages in 8.4 that aren't in
9.0, 6 are actually point-releases that show up since we haven't
released 9.0beta2 yet. But release notes could of course be excluded.

It would be easy to have the site add links if the match is exact. If
it's not, I definitely don't want to get into the heuristics business.