Re: Running PostgreSQL as fast as possible no matter the consequences - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jon Nelson
Subject Re: Running PostgreSQL as fast as possible no matter the consequences
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 7:08 AM, Guillaume Cottenceau <gc@mnc.ch> wrote:
> Marti Raudsepp <marti 'at' juffo.org> writes:
>
>> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 13:32, A B <gentosaker@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I was just thinking about the case where I will have almost 100%
>>> selects, but still needs something better than a plain key-value
>>> storage so I can do some sql queries.
>>> The server will just boot, load data, run,  hopefully not crash but if
>>> it would, just start over with load and run.
>>
>> If you want fast read queries then changing
>> fsync/full_page_writes/synchronous_commit won't help you.
>
> That illustrates how knowing the reasoning of this particular
> requests makes new suggestions worthwhile, while previous ones
> are now seen as useless.

I disagree that they are useless - the stated mechanism was "start,
load data, and run". Changing the params above won't likely change
much in the 'run' stage but would they help in the 'load' stage?

--
Jon