Re: Postgres insert performance and storage requirement compared to Oracle - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Alex Hunsaker
Subject Re: Postgres insert performance and storage requirement compared to Oracle
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 21:08, Divakar Singh <dpsmails@yahoo.com> wrote:
> So another question pops up: What method in PostgreSQL does the stored proc
> use when I issue multiple insert (for loop for 100 thousand records) in the
> stored proc?

It uses prepared statements (unless you are using execute).  There is
also the benefit of not being on the network.  Assuming 0.3ms avg
latency, 1 packet per query and 100,000 queries-- thats 30s just from
latency!  Granted this is just a silly estimate that happens to (more
or less) fit my numbers...