Re: Links to previous and future versions of documentation - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Rob Wultsch
Subject Re: Links to previous and future versions of documentation
Date
List pgsql-www
On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 9:52 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> On tis, 2010-05-18 at 17:30 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> We can easily auto-generate links *if the filename stays the same*.
>
> That's exactly what this feature should do, IMO.  At least you could
> easily navigate between different versions of the reference pages for
> SQL commands and command-line tools, for example.
>
>> It
>> often doesn't. As an example, 9.0 has 32 pages that don't exist in
>> 8.4, and 8.4 has 9 pages that don't exist in 9.0. The same comparison
>> earlier shows for example that 8.0 has 10 pages that aren't in 8.1,
>> and 8.1 has 74 pages that aren't in 8.0.
>
> Out of 1021 pages I count in 9.0, that's pretty good I'd say.

I think that being able to navigate between version without manually
altering the URL has significant value. I do not have an answer as to
what to do about articles that change locations, but it seems like
this is a very small subset of the manual. I assume if there is enough
demand we could do some mapping later.

I am willing to hack on this in my spare time. Where can I get a
checkout of the www code or is there a tutorial for dealing with the
website?

--
Rob Wultsch
wultsch@gmail.com