Re: Linux - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Linux
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Jason Long
<mailing.lists@octgsoftware.com> wrote:
> I use Centos for production and Fedora for development and I am very
> happy with both.  Especially Centos as I have never had an update break
> anything.

I have to agree that Centos is tank-like in its reliability and its
updates.  It's a stable, safe option.  And it has real long term
support.  While I'm currently using Ubuntu LTS 10.04.1, I know that
LTS to Ubuntu isn't nearly as big of a commitment as long term support
for Centos / RedHat is.

I've seen bugs reported right after 8.04 LTS came out, bugs that were
never addressed or fixed.  Many of them affected me.  The standard
answer was "try 8.10, try 9.xx, try etc..."

Imagine if you were running RHEL 5 or Centos 5 and they told you to
"try fedora" for a fix.  No way.  Ubuntu still has a long way to go to
catch up to that level of commercial friendly support and bug fixing.
But if you're willing to put up with their awful bug fixing pace, and
the release, as released, works for you, then it's an ok option.