Re: [HACKERS] pgsql: Use gender-neutral language in documentation - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: [HACKERS] pgsql: Use gender-neutral language in documentation
Date
List pgsql-committers
Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 9:32 PM, Erik Rijkers <er@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>> I think this compulsive 'he'-avoiding is making the text worse.
>>

>> -      environment variable); any user can make such a change for his session.
>> +      environment variable); any user can make such a change for their session.
>
> -1. It seems fine to me.

(Disclaimer: I am not a native speaker.)

Using the pronoun of the third person plural as a replacement for "his or her"
has become widely used, at least in the U.S., and the OED condones that use:
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/they

Do we want to have that everywhere?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe