Re: [HACKERS] Not 7.5, but 8.0 ? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Claudio Natoli
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
> > I'm sorry if I'm being alow here - is there any problem  with running a
> > production server on cygwin's postgresql? Is the cygwin port of lesser
> > quality, or otherwise inferior?
>
> Performance, performance, perfomance... and perfomance... it is (almost)
> always worse perfomance when we emulate something... and using Cygwin we
>   are emulating U*nix...

Absolutely. The DB throughput available to our application with postgresql
under cygwin is about 1/3 of what we get under Linux with a similar spec
machine/config.

That, and, more importantly, the odd spurious cygipc lock up, precludes our
use of postgresql/cygwin in a production setting. And not having postgresql
available on all our target platforms (which includes Windows) precludes the
use of it at all, as we desire a single DB solution. I don't imagine we are
the only ones in this situation (and to all those who see a Windows port as
"uninteresting", please keep this in mind).

Hopefully, we can change this situation soon...

Cheers,
Claudio

---
<a