Re: 9.5 release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kouhei Kaigai
Subject Re: 9.5 release notes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 08:18:26PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > I have committed the first draft of the 9.5 release notes.  You can view
> > > the output here:
> > >
> > >     http://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-9-5.html
> >
> > I noticed something while reading this and would like the input of our
> > Japanese contributors.
> >
> > Normally, western names are written using the given name first, then the
> > surname ("last name").  I am not well-versed on Japanese culture but my
> > understanding is that they use their family name first, then their given
> > name -- for instance, in "Yamada Tarō", Yamada is the family name and
> > Tarō is the given name.
> >
> > Apparently, when interacting with Western people, some Japanese seem to
> > invert this and put the given name first.  Also, some write the family
> > name in all caps -- I guess this is done so that it is clear which part
> > is which.
>
> Yes, I have Western-ordered all of them as best I could.
>
> > Now, I think we should consider using a single style for all the
> > Japanese names used in the release notes.  Can we have our Japanese
> > contributors all agree on which style to use, and then let us know
> > what's their name in that style?
> >
> > The names we currently have in the 9.5 release notes are:
> >
> > Fujii Masao
> > Kyotaro Horiguchi
> > Sawada Masahiko
> > KaiGai Kohei
> > Shigeru Hanada
> > Etsuro Fujita
> > Furuya Osamu
> > MauMau
> > Mitsumasa Kondo
>
> Yes, it would be good to know this.  The only problem is that I would
> have to _guess_ who is Japanese to do this consistently as the supplied
> names have varied orderings.  Do we really want to go there?  Are there
> other countries where this would be appropriate?
>
> > BTW, it is pretty cool to have contributor names that are natively in
> > scripts other than latin.  It is a pity that because of toolchain
> > limitations we cannot display names in kanji, cyrillic or other
> > character sets (in addition to their transliteration to latin script).
>
> Yes, it would be cool to have the non-Latin name lettering for all
> submitters, then a Latin-ized version.  (I guess having my name in
> Armenian letters would be overkill ... hmmm.)  Anyway, Alvaro is right
> that our tooling doesn't have the capabilities to do this.  We could
> link to a webpage that did list all contributors with their native
> character-set names though.

I usually use the Eastern-style. KaiGai Kohei = <family name> <given name>.
However, other people use their own manner.
Probably, it is not obvious for foreign people, and me also.
So, I don't think community need to take care.
How about a simply policy to show the name when contributors submitted
and discussed? If people prefer the Latin-style, they put their first
name first. Elsewhere, they put their family name first.

Thanks,
KaiGai Kohei <kaigai@ak.jp.nec.com>