Vacuum and Transactions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Trewern, Ben
Subject Vacuum and Transactions
Date
Re: Vacuum and Transactions  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
Hi all,

I am having the following problems using Postgres 7.1.2 with clients which
have long transactions:

If there is a transaction running when 'vacuumdb -a -z' is run (as a cron
job) it stops running at that database till the transaction completes.  That
is not so much of a problem until a new client tries to connect to the
database.  This new connection hangs, waiting for the vacuum to complete.
This situation is not all that helpful and means I have to be careful at
what time I run vacuum so it does not interfere with new clients.  Is this a
bug or the standard way in which postgres works and are there any plans
change this?

Regards

Ben

This email and any attachments transmitted with it are confidential
and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom
notify the sender and do not store, copy or disclose the content
to any other person.

It is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that opening this
message and/or any of its attachments will not adversely affect
its systems. No responsibility is accepted by the Company.