Re: [HACKERS] Re: Postgresql Docs.... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Aaron J. Seigo
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: Postgresql Docs....
Date
List pgsql-hackers
hi...

> > > Hmm. I've taken this on-list, just in case someone else has a comment.
> > > But in the absence of alternate information, I'll just assume that we
> > > are not public domain software. But I sure still have the feeling that
> > > we are getting gypped by the legaleze.
> >
> > How about "free software" or "freely available"? As in "free to do
> > whatever you want", not Free(tm) as in FSF. IMHO, "open source" sounds to
> > buzzword-compliant these days.
>
> How about simply "BSD licensed?"

traditional "BSD Liscences" have that silly advertising
clause.. which postgres does as well, unfortunately... quite honestly, i find
that irritating and antiquated. *shrug* not like the regents are exactly doing
anything important w/postgres now, right? and for all the shouting of "its
TRULY free", there are string attatched...

anyways... as long as a lisence protects what needs to be protected, all is
good. instead of arguing silly semantics (BSD/XFree/Public
Domain/GPL/blahblahblah) we should be looking more importantly at which rights
we want to secure and which we don't really care about.

BSD/XFree style liscences are good when a permisiveness is desired (like apache
and how it help keep HTTP on track) and bad when you aren't trying to enforce
certain standards but endevouring to keep a software available to others...
fortunately,  postgres isn't a trivial piece of software, which serves as a
protection. but it isn't so complex that it couldn't be taken on by another
entity. in fact, a compay could easily come along and swoop up the core 4
programmers with terrific job offers and that would pretty much be that =)
lets hope people's scruples and dedications are in the place We would like them
to be...

public domain would be horrid. BSD/XFree style is fine, though probably more
permissive than needed (and perhaps even desired). the GPL is
probably a little too demanding for this type of software though...

it would be interesting to see it settle somewhere in between. e.g. if you want
to extend it, GREAT! if you distribute it gratis, you have to make it available
to everyone...  perhaps require source code be available for the current
release (not distributed, but available)... and if someone wants to _sell_ it
as a closed package, fine! but require they give something back to the postgres
development team.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Sys Admin