Re: [GENERAL] Re: ongoing holy grail thread - VICTORY!!! - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tony Grant
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Re: ongoing holy grail thread - VICTORY!!!
Date
List pgsql-docs
On 12 Apr 2001 22:40:56 +1000, Justin Clift wrote:

> When we installed Tomcat and PostgreSQL, I just copied the
> postgresql.jar file into the /lib directory inside the tomcat
> installation directory...

Justin wins the case of champagne (virtual for the time being)

The secret is there - where the jdbc .jar file goes.

> By default, no-one on your network has permission to touch your
> PostgreSQL database.  If you've opened it up by specifying something
> like :
>
> host all <network IP address> <netmask> trust
>
> then your users should be able to connect with a username of 'postgres'
> from what I remember (if that's the PostgreSQL superuser on your server
> that is).

Does not work, must be "host db_name IP user ident"

Maybe this has something to do with java security???

> >     - Ultradev is running on NT and connecting via "LAN" thus is using
> >     SMB and not TCP/IP is this an issue?

Had to connect via ftp (thus tcp/ip) to get it to work. Had to set up
ftp just right because Ultradev wants to write over the connection files
as it uses them.

Please bear with me on this one people: I'll try to write up a sort of
HOWTO to document for this. But it has taken me a week full time so far
and I have to get back to looking after my clients.

For now the secret was a clean install of _everything_ on a developpment
server. Everything meaning RedHat 7.0 on down to the Apache module...

I think that we should maybe get this info out to Macromedia to
supplement the MySQL stuff that is already in Ultradev.

Cheers

Tony Grant

--
RedHat Linux on Sony Vaio C1XD/S