Re: pgFoundry Download URLs - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: pgFoundry Download URLs
Date
List pgsql-www
On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 00:43, David E. Wheeler <david@justatheory.com> wrote:
> On Jan 1, 2010, at 7:01 AM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>
>> On the other hand we got more than 50 project applications this year(not all of the accepted) so there seems to be a
needand an interest from the community for a postgresql centric project hosting infrastructure.

> Yes, but are those people applying to pgFoundry to take advantage of the tools, or to have a presence in the
community?I'll bet that the latter is usually the more important reason, since there are better tools elsewhere.

It's certainly not to take advantage of the tools, unless they have
been living under a rock for the past 5 years when the rest of the
world of project-hosting overtook pgfoundry rapidly :)

That said, a lot of the projects on pgfoundry don't *need* anything
more advanced than what it provides. And given that restriction, it's
"good enough", and the "community visibility" (which IMHO pgfoundry
actually doesn't give you, but that's a different thing - people think
it does and that's what matters) adds value, and it's "the default
place to go".