Re: pgFoundry Download URLs - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: pgFoundry Download URLs
Date
List pgsql-www
2009/12/30 Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net>:
> On Wednesday 30 December 2009 16:11:36 Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> > Want to start a launchpad vs github flamewar?
>>
>> No. I actually don't care which you use.
>
> And in fact, why be so limiting, there are *dozens* of alternatives:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open_source_software_hosting_facilities

Of course.

>> > FWIW, both are AFAIK missing the "simple migration path" that Dave was
>> > asking for.
>>
>> Not really... let the developers move it themselves.
>>

> +1.
>
> One thing I learned doing the gborg migration/shutdown was that everyone uses
> the existing infrastructure differently, and the relative importance of any of
> it seems to fluctuate on how much work they will have to do to keep something.
> So my migration plan  *is* simple, it's "NMFP". (Except of course for those
> projects of my own which are on pgfoundry, which would be MFP, but I'm willing
> to move them)

If we actually want to go down that path, we need to figure out what
we need to do to fill the needs that pgfoundry supposedly does today,
that other solutions *don't*. A first one would be an aggregated
newsfeed from projects somewhere - and this is probably different from
planet, in that it's a different kind of posts. It's not hard to do
technically, but it needs to be done.

There may well be others.

Also, we'd still have to maintain pgfoundry for quite a while. I guess
we could eventually retire some services into readonly mode, but a
phase-out would be just like gforge.