Re: pgFoundry Download URLs - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: pgFoundry Download URLs
Date
List pgsql-www
On Wednesday 30 December 2009 18:54:57 Magnus Hagander wrote:

> >> No. I actually don't care which you use.
> >
> > And in fact, why be so limiting, there are *dozens* of alternatives:
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open_source_software_hosting_f
> >acilities
>
> Of course.

> >> Not really... let the developers move it themselves.
> >
> > +1.
> >
> > One thing I learned doing the gborg migration/shutdown was that everyone
> > uses the existing infrastructure differently, and the relative importance
> > of any of it seems to fluctuate on how much work they will have to do to
> > keep something. So my migration plan  *is* simple, it's "NMFP". (Except
> > of course for those projects of my own which are on pgfoundry, which
> > would be MFP, but I'm willing to move them)
>
> If we actually want to go down that path, we need to figure out what
> we need to do to fill the needs that pgfoundry supposedly does today,
> that other solutions *don't*. A first one would be an aggregated
> newsfeed from projects somewhere - and this is probably different from
> planet, in that it's a different kind of posts. It's not hard to do
> technically, but it needs to be done.

Yeah, I have been thinking about that. It seems we need more of a freshmeat
than a sourceforge. I think the existing software catalog could be used for
just that purpose, with a specific rss feed for news people want to post there
about thier projects (or just changes within the catalog).

> There may well be others.

The other thing that I have seen is having an easy place for packagers to get
thier downloads. As someone who maintins a package outside of the pgf
infrastructure that is packaged on multiple distributions, I'm not overly
worried about this. It will be a bit of work for packagers initially, but long
term it is no more work. Also it might be possible to have the software
catalog contain links to latest downloads that could be mirrored, though I'm
not sure how desirable that really would be.

> Also, we'd still have to maintain pgfoundry for quite a while. I guess
> we could eventually retire some services into readonly mode, but a
> phase-out would be just like gforge.

Sure, but I think that would be better than the state we are in now.

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net