Re: GPL, readline, and static/dynamic linking - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martin A. Marques
Subject Re: GPL, readline, and static/dynamic linking
Date
List pgsql-hackers

http://icd.pennnet.com/Articles/Article_Display.cfm?Section=Articles&SubSection=Display&ARTICLE_ID=92350&VERSION_NUM=1

> > The interesting thing is that Stallman says:
> >
> >   "Our position is that it makes no difference whether programs are
> linked
> >   statically or dynamically," explains Stallman. "Either one makes a
> >   combined program.
> >
> > This would seem to imply that our dynamic linking of libreadline in
> > PostgreSQL backend binaries makes the distribution of backend
> binaries
> > fall under the GPL.
>
> This was discussed extensively earlier. Linking dynamically or
> statically doesn't make a difference in the case of a library, but as
> long as readline is an optional feature for the user it's not a
> problem.

I agree with Trond on this. It's like the problem that PHP had with bc until it
got LGPLed. All they did was say you could compile PHP with it, but you had to
downloaded by ourself.

Saludos... :-)

System Administration: It's a dirty job,
but someone told I had to do it.
Martín Marqués                  email:  martin@math.unl.edu.ar
Santa Fe - Argentina            http://math.unl.edu.ar/~martin/
Administrador de sistemas en math.unl.edu.ar