Re: Minimum supported version of Python? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Minimum supported version of Python?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Sat, 2014-03-15 at 20:55 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Our documentation claims that the minimum Python version for plpython
>> is 2.3.  However, an attempt to build with that on an old Mac yielded
>> a bunch of failures in the plpython_types regression test,

>> Personally I have no desire to put any effort into fixing this, and
>> thus suggest that we just change the documentation to specify that 2.5
>> is the minimum Python version since 9.0.  Does anybody else want to
>> work harder on it, and if so what would you propose doing exactly?

> It is debatable whether 2.3 should still be considered supported in 9.4.
> If we do drop it, then the supported version should be 2.4.  Personally,
> I think everything is fine as it is.

Well, if you want to consider python 2.3 as supported, I have a buildfarm
machine I am about to put online that has 2.3 on it.  If I spin it up with
python enabled, I expect you to see to it that it starts passing.  If you
won't do that, I'm going to change the documentation.

As for 2.4 vs 2.5, I don't have a lot of faith that we're really
supporting anything that's not represented in the buildfarm...