Re: .cvsignore file - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: .cvsignore file
Date
List pgsql-patches
Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca> writes:
> On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 00:22, Tom Lane wrote:
>> This strikes me as a bad idea.  We use .cvsignore only for files that
>> should survive "make distclean", which the built docs files surely
>> shouldn't.

> Why not ignore the set of compiled files as well?  I realize its a much
> larger list, but seems a fairly common thing to do.

Well, exactly, it's a much larger list, and hence a much larger
maintenance effort.  If it were near-zero cost to maintain then
I'd be okay with it ... but right now, it seems most reasonable
to expect people to do "make distclean" before they try a "cvs diff".

In practice, you have to be mighty savvy to do "cvs update"s without a
"make distclean" beforehand --- I don't ever risk it myself; the extra
machine cycles for a full rebuild are way cheaper than my time to debug
an incomplete rebuild.  So I have little concern for the "cvs diff"
case.

            regards, tom lane