Re: Ideas for building a system that parses medical research publications/articles - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Ideas for building a system that parses medical research publications/articles
Date
List pgsql-general
On 6/5/21 9:56 AM, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:

> Στις 5/6/21 6:34 μ.μ., ο/η Adrian Klaver έγραψε:
>> On 6/5/21 2:49 AM, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I am imagining a system that can parse papers from various sources
>>> (web/files/etc) and in various formats (text, pdf, etc) and can store
>>> metadata for this paper ,some kind of global ID if applicable,
>>> authors, areas of research, whether the paper is "new",
>>> "highlighted", "historical", type (e.g. Case reports, Clinical
>>> trials), symptoms (e.g. tics, GI pain, psychological changes,
>>> anxiety, ), and other key attributes (I guess dynamic), it must be
>>> full text searchable, etc.
>>>
>>> I am at the very beginning in this and it is done on a fully
>>> volunteer basis.
>>>
>>> Lots of questions : is there any scientific/scholar analysis software
>>> already available? If yes and is really good and open source , then
>>> this will influence the rest of decisions. Otherwise , I'll have to
>>> form a team that can write one, in this case I'll have to decide DB,
>>> language, etc. I work 20 years with pgsql so it is the natural choice
>>> for any kind of data, I just ask this for the sake of completeness.
>>>
>>> All ideas welcome.
>>
>> A quick search found this:
>>
>> https://solutionsreview.com/data-management/the-best-open-source-data-catalog-tools-to-consider/
>>

>> Might be a good starting point on what is already out there.
>
> This is interesting, so the keywords are "Data Catalog" ?

What I searched on was 'open source article catalog'.

>> There is also this:
>>
>> The Directory of Open Access Journals
>> https://doaj.org/
>>
> This seems very very poor. Just try a search there and then repeat in
> PMC (PubMed Central).

This is down to copyright issues I'm sure. For PubMed Central see:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/about/copyright/

for the if/ands/buts that restrict what you can do with the information
and stay legal.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com