Re: Looking for Suggestion on Learning - Mailing list pgsql-general

From ray joseph
Subject Re: Looking for Suggestion on Learning
Date
List pgsql-general
> On Saturday, February 05, 2011 9:30:13 am ray wrote:
> > I have built a few databases with MS Access and I would like to learn
> > how to use pgsql.  I have found some examples but they have been too
> > complex to follow or to abstract with no specific details.
> >
> > I would like to find a simple example that would take me from an open
> > source design tool to a simple method to implement the design.
> >
> > I would like to find a simple guide, tutorial or example and will
> > appreciate any help.
> >
> > ray
>
> It will be difficult to find a simple drop in replacement for what you had
> with
> Access. The closest thing I can think of is OpenOffice/LibreOffice Base
> (http://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Database_1) and that is not as well
> integrated. Most Open Source development tend to use chains of tools,
> admin/creation --> driver/middle layer --> GUI design, with each aspect
> handled by a different program. I tend to handle admin/creation with text
> files run through psql. I work with Python so my database driver is
> psycopg2. This n turn gets used by a framework. For desktop apps I use
>  Dabo > (http://dabodev.com/).
> Since the final output is determined by mix and match it is hard to find a
> 1-2-3 tutorial. My suggestion is to make a list of your needs and work
> bck from there:
>
> 1) What OS(s) do I want to deploy on?
> 2) What programming language(s) do I want to work with?
> 3) Where do I want to deploy, desktop/Web?
> 4) What do I want to build, simple SOHO apps  .... enterprise apps?
>
> With answers to these questions it would be possible to narrow the field a
> bit.  Unfortunately, it is one of those good news/bad news situations.
> Good news, Open Source is about a variety of choices. Bad news, Open
> Source is about a variety of choices.
>
> --
> Adrian Klaver
> adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Adrian,

Thank you for the clarifications.  I would like to address the guiding
questions you presented:

1) What OS(s) do I want to deploy on?  Windows, right now XP.
2) What programming language(s) do I want to work with?  Python.
3) Where do I want to deploy, desktop/Web?  Desktop at first.
4) What do I want to build, simple SOHO apps  .... enterprise apps?  SOHO at
first.

My responses represent what I expect a learning path to take.  Although I
will probably not be programming for web or enterprise, what I build may be
a prototype for such.  I am not looking for the tools to build the big apps,
I just want to learn the basics, or more important right now, the simple.

Please help me understand what you mean by " I tend to handle admin/creation
with text files run through psql."

I looked at Dabo and it looks like it is for developing applications.  Is
there a tool for designing a database?

Ray