Re: pgFoundry Download URLs - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Dave Page
Subject Re: pgFoundry Download URLs
Date
List pgsql-www
On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 8:24 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> My basic thinking is that rather than trying to fix pgFoundry or replace
> it with some single piece of software which addresses the 7 things
> people use pgfoundry for, we should instead look at those 7 services as
> *separate* web services for postgresql.org, and address them with
> separate, *simple* pieces of software.  Therefore:

Well, I'm for improving the catalogue to provide what people want from
it, but I'm certainly not going to support web pages, mailing lists,
file sharing or the one your forgot, bug tracking as well as
pgFoundry.

Given past experience of migration, I can only believe that the least
painful, and most likely to happen option is an upgrade of pgFoundry
on a new, documented VM that the sysadmin team can manage properly.
Trying to get rid of pgFoundry will lead to years of faffing about
while we try to migrate people - if we even can migrate them anywhere
without losing mailing list/tracker history etc.

I don't have any great desire to move my own projects (though I won't
hold up a migration if that's what we choose), but frankly I just
don't see anyone knuckling down and doing it.

--
Dave Page