Re: Application name patch - v4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Application name patch - v4
Date
Re: Application name patch - v4  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 4:19 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> I don't think that we need to bump the protocol version.  The real
> alternative here would be that libpq sends a startup packet that
> includes application_name, and if it gets an error back from that,
> it starts over without the app name.  The main disadvantage would
> be that you'd get a double connection attempt == more overhead
> anytime you use an 8.5+ libpq to connect to 8.4- server.  People
> never complained that hard about the similar double connection attempt
> when 7.4+ libpq connected to 7.3- servers, so maybe we should just
> go that way.

I looked (briefly) at doing that when we first ran into this
suggestion. As you pointed out at the time, it seemed like that would
require some fairly ugly hackery in fe-connect.c

--
Dave Page