Re: Application name patch - v4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Application name patch - v4
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 9:16 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> If an application can do SET DEFAULT, how does the connection pooler
>> *really* reset the value back to what it was?

> There has to be some level of trust here :-). As the alternative would
> involve bumping the fe-be protocol version, it seems like a reasonable
> approach to me.

I don't think that we need to bump the protocol version.  The real
alternative here would be that libpq sends a startup packet that
includes application_name, and if it gets an error back from that,
it starts over without the app name.  The main disadvantage would
be that you'd get a double connection attempt == more overhead
anytime you use an 8.5+ libpq to connect to 8.4- server.  People
never complained that hard about the similar double connection attempt
when 7.4+ libpq connected to 7.3- servers, so maybe we should just
go that way.