Re: 8.4 open items list - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: 8.4 open items list
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 3:46 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
>> In this case, createdb - however, this particular case is of very
>> minor impact to us. My gripe is more on the general issue of being
>> potentially forced to add support for a new version and beta test
>> tools in the same timeframe that PostgreSQL has for beta.
>
> I hear you, but really the only way we could promise that would be to
> have a period before beta of nothing happening in the core project while
> tools authors do their thing.  That doesn't seem productive.  We're
> trying to get some parallelism here, not serialize all the development
> and testing.

Agreed - I certainly don't want to see things stand still. I just
chatted with Bruce, and we discussed the idea of prioritising patches
with API changes in the last commitfest to try to make things as
painless as possible. I suggest we discuss this in Ottawa, when we
review the whole commitfest idea.

--
Dave Page