Re: Interesting comment on the home page - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Interesting comment on the home page
Date
List pgsql-www
On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 7:01 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> WWW Folks,
>
> From Bruce's blog:
>
> ============
>
> I would put a simple description on the most visible part of the page,
> currently occupied by "PostgreSQL updates released". Ok, that is important,
> but to a newbie it looks like "hmm... I don't know what PostgreSQL is but I
> need to upgrade it already?"

Not sure what can be done about that with the current layout.

> I would put a link to the latest documentation (and to the Tutorial and
> Installation sections too) on the homepage. Currently the shortest path to
> Tutorial is 4 click away. The documentation of the PostgreSQL project is one
> of it's strongest sides, and it should easier to access.

1 click to the documentation index, one to the desired version, and
one to the tutorial section. It's only a difference of 1, but I don't
think we can put everything on the front page.

> I would put direct links to the latest packages. The current "Latest
> Releases" section is quite baffling - there are links to the notes, but not
> to the source/packages?

There is a bold 'Download' link, directly under the list of current
versions. Because we have different types of packages for different
platforms for each version, there's no easy way to do per-version
links to 'source/packages' - doing so would lead to horrendous clutter
(believe me, I've tried). Instead, the download link (as well as the
one on the top level navigation menu) links to the carefully
thought-out downloads page which guides people to exactly what they
need.

--
Dave Page