Re: 8.4 release planning (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: 8.4 release planning (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 4:23 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Since it's going to take us two weeks to clean up the other loose ends
> anyway, there's no harm in letting Simon and Heikki try to complete the
> patch by then.  But I'll happily lay a side bet with you about what the
> situation will be two weeks from now.

If Heikki comes back and says it's not feasible, then so be it. I'll
be happy because that decision was made following a proper review and
some effort to get the work done.

> Even if the improbable happens and there's an apparently bug-free patch
> ready in two weeks, I think it would be far better project management to
> have it go in at the beginning of the 8.5 cycle than at the tail end of
> 8.4.  This is a major patch that has very real possibilities for
> breaking plain old crash recovery, even for users not using HS.  The
> idea of shipping it with only a minimal amount of testing should scare
> the pants off you.

It scares me for sure, but I'm reassured because I know and trust the
guys at 2ndQuadrant who have been testing extensively, as well as
other people such as Merlin and Heikki. Most patches get far less
testing I'd wager.

--
Dave Page