Re: Keep Alive PGAdmin 1.8 - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Keep Alive PGAdmin 1.8
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 7:39 AM, Fil Matthews <fil@internetmediapro.com> wrote:
> Sirs
>
>  Thank You firstly  for  your  fine  front-end  administration tool to
>  Postgres..  As an ex ORACLE    D.B.A.  I appreciate  what you have done.
>
>  There is one point that I have not had  the time or patience to find ..
>
>  Perhaps my postgres servers are configured  incorrectly  but they have
>  a wonderful habit  ( of which I highly approve)  of  chucking out
>  "idle" connections.
>
>  Unfortunately my PGAdmin 1.8  connection is also seen as an "idle"
>  connection after some period of  non use ..

PostgreSQL doesn't do this - it tends to be poorly configured routers
or firewalls that are disconnecting the idle connections. The usual
advice for people that run into this problem is to connect via an ssh
tunnel and enable keepalives there.

--
Dave Page