Re: RULE regression test fragility? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: RULE regression test fragility?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Mike Blackwell <mike.blackwell@rrd.com> writes:
> While reviewing the Network Stats Traffic patch I discovered the current
> regression test for rules depends on the system view definitions not
> changing:

Yes, this is standard.  We just update the expected output anytime
somebody changes a system view.

(Now, if the submitter failed to notice that his patch broke the
regression tests, that's grounds to wonder how much he tested it.
But it's not unexpected for that test's output to change.)

> [ Is it really a good idea for the regression tests to do that? ]

I tend to think so, as it seems like a good stress test for the
rule-dumping machinery.