Super-smack? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Sipe
Subject Super-smack?
Date
Re: Super-smack?
List pgsql-performance
I've been attempting to tweak performance on a FreeBSD 6 server I'm
running that has both Postgresql 8.1 and Mysql 4.1 running
simultaneously.

To attempt to gauge performance I was directed to the super-smack
(http://vegan.net/tony/supersmack/) benchmark.

Testing gave results that showed mysql far outperforming postgresql
in select and update tests, in factors of roughly 6-7x in terms of
queries per second (running stock configurations--I was able to
improve mysql performance a good amount with playing with the config
file settings, though I couldn't make any change in postgresql
performance. I DID increase shmmin shmmax and semmap during the
course of testing).

So, my question is, before I do any further digging, is super-smack
flawed? It's very possibile I'm doing something stupid with the
execution of the benchmark too, but as I said, I just wanted to see
if anyone else had used super-smack, or had comments? I'm glad to
post system specs, configs, etc, if anyone is interested.

Alternatively, would anyone recommend any other benchmarks to run?

thanks much,
Scott

I also wanted to make clear I didn't want to turn this into a mysql
vs postgresql discussion, as I much prefer postgresql.