Re: Is a modern build system acceptable for older platforms - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Is a modern build system acceptable for older platforms
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Now you could argue that we could just rewrite to non-recursive
> make. But that'd be nearly as much work as migrating to another
> buildsystem.

I'm sure it'd be a significant amount of work ... but it wouldn't require
redesigning any configuration or portability hacks, nor any change in
tool prerequisites, and at least in principle it wouldn't require changes
in users' build scripts.  So I think claiming it's as expensive as
migrating to cmake is almost certainly wrong.

(I don't know offhand if tricks like "build plpython only" would
still work unchanged, but that's a sufficiently niche usage that
I'd not be too concerned about making those people adapt their
scripts.)