Re: 8.5 release timetable, again - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 8.5 release timetable, again
Date
Re: 8.5 release timetable, again  (Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>> That is a slightly alarmist.  Who are we going to lose these users to?

> Drizzle.  MySQL forks.  CouchDB.  Any database which has replication
> which you don't need a professional DBA to understand.  Whether or not
> it works.

You haven't explained why we'd lose such folk next year when we haven't
lost them already.  MySQL has had replication (or at least has checked
off the bullet point ;-)) for years.  I'd be seriously surprised if any
of the forks will offer significantly better replication than is there
now, so the competitive situation is not changing in that regard.

It is true that we're missing a chance to pull some folks away while
the situation on that side of the fence is so messy.  But I don't see
our situation getting worse because of that, just not getting better.