Re: Timezones in 8.2.7 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Timezones in 8.2.7
Date
List pgsql-general
Erik Jones <erik@myemma.com> writes:
> On Mar 26, 2008, at 12:26 PM, Joseph Shraibman wrote:
>> This is a IMHO a bug in the install script.  All of the postgres
>> install  should be world readable, regardless of the umask (or at
>> least provide a warning).

> What?  Are you actually saying that a PG data directory should be
> world readable?  That will never happen as that throws out even the
> most basic security facilities.

No, he's complaining that the share/timezone file tree wasn't
world-readable.  I think that's plain old pilot error though.
The install script shouldn't be second-guessing the umask it's
given, any more than it second-guesses the file ownerships.

            regards, tom lane