Help needed with normalisation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Evil Monkey
Subject Help needed with normalisation
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi there

I have a relational model  that I need to normalise to check there will
be no update anomalies and get it to Boyce Codd normal form.

Could some please help me fully understand the concept of a functional
dependency?

I dont quite understand how to approach converting my relational model into
BCNF.

Do I just assume the funtional depndancies based on what the context of the
overall system is or is there a way to correctly go through each relation
and check for FD's?

I undertsand FD's to some degree and the purpose of normlisations but im a
little vague on how to get started

If there is can some one help me to understand one of my relations below? I
really want to understand the process.

relation name:VENUE

CK VenueID

(VenueID,NameOfVenue, Address, Telephone ,EntryCost ,OpenTime
,CloseTime,Website,VenueBudget)

relation name: TRACK

CK AlbumId

(AlbumId,TrackNumber,TrackName,Length,Review,PersonId)