Re: Quick Extensions Question - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Quick Extensions Question
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I think that it's not a good idea to devote too much energy to this
> problem right now, anyway.  [ we need to get to beta ASAP, instead ]

I hear you, but once we get to beta, or even the last alpha, it's going
to be very hard to make changes that would interfere with people doing
upgrades or dump/restores.  If we don't do something about the language-
as-extension situation right now, the window will be closed until 9.2.
Most of the other things that are on our plates for beta are internal
changes that would be unlikely to break the upgrade path for beta
testers.

You may well be right that there's no way to fix this with an amount of
effort that would be appropriate to spend now, but I don't want to just
walk away from the problem without considering whether there is a way
that we can fix it with a day or so's additional effort.