Re: Patch: plan invalidation vs stored procedures - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Patch: plan invalidation vs stored procedures
Date
Re: Patch: plan invalidation vs stored procedures  (Hannu Krosing <hannu@2ndQuadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
"Asko Oja" <ascoja@gmail.com> writes:
> For users of stored procedures it is protection from downtime. For Skype it
> has been around 20% of databse related downtime this year.

Perhaps Skype needs to rethink how they are modifying functions.

The reason that this case wasn't covered in 8.3 is that there didn't
seem to be a use-case that justified doing the extra work.  I still
haven't seen one.  Other than inline-able SQL functions there is no
reason to invalidate a stored plan based on the fact that some function
it called changed contents.