Re: PostgreSQL 11 Press Release Feedback - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Amit Langote
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 11 Press Release Feedback
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for working on this.

On 2018/08/23 0:40, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As we have recently released PostgreSQL 11 Beta 3, the time to releasing
> PostgreSQL 11 is drawing near. I wanted to share with you a draft of the
> proposed press release to solicit *constructive* feedback, specifically looking
> for:
>
> - Grammatical mistakes / typos / awkward + unclear language
> - Technical inaccuracies
> - Suggestions for missing features that should be highlighted
> - Quotes - you can see there are lots of room for them ;-)
>
> Please bear in mind that the release is targeted towards the users of
> PostgreSQL, the vast majority of whom do not post to the mailing lists, and the
> principle idea behind the language is to help clearly explain why one should
> upgrade, if not use, PostgreSQL 11 and how to utilize the new features
> available. For many people, this is their only viewpoint into whats in the
> release, so let's make sure it makes them excited about using PostgreSQL!
>
> If you wish to provide feedback, please send it no later than Aug 31, 2018.
> After that, the draft will need to be finalized (barring changes from -hackers
> on which features are included).
>
> If you wish to provide a quote, please send an
> email to press@postgresql.org with your name, organization, and the quote.
>
> Below is a copy of the press release draft:

About the following:

"PostgreSQL 11 also supports partitioned tables that utilize the
PostgreSQL foreign data wrapper,
[postgres_fdw](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/postgres-fdw.html),
enabling users to combine partitioning with data federation techniques."

Just to clarify, we support partitioned tables containing partitions that
utilize FDWs even in PostgreSQL 10 [1].  Although, they were not handled
by tuple routing, so offered limited functionality as partitions.
PostgreSQL 11 fixed that limitation, which makes them more useful.

Thanks,
Amit

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/sql-createforeigntable.html