Re: Request for assistance/advice: TikiWiki CMS/Groupware will have to drop PostgreSQL support soon unless a maintainer steps up - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Marc Laporte
Subject Re: Request for assistance/advice: TikiWiki CMS/Groupware will have to drop PostgreSQL support soon unless a maintainer steps up
Date
In response to Re: Request for assistance/advice: TikiWiki CMS/Groupware will have to drop PostgreSQL support soon unless a maintainer steps up  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 4:56 PM, Josh Berkus<josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Marc,
>
>> This is very disappointing to me because I have always wanted Tiki to
>> be as universal as possible. So I don't want to give up on this goal
>> without a fight. Which is why I am writing to you today.
>
> Thanks for contacting us.  Clearly we need a way to advertise through our
> community which projects are looking for PostgreSQL maintenance/porting
> help; for now we can put TikiWiki in the Weekly News or similar, but it
> would be nice to do this more systematically.

This is a great idea! TikiWiki-Firefox collaboration has been hugely
successful. I am sure it can be the same.

I think our best shot is if both communities use their network to try
to find one or many people that see value in this project and are
ready to help out.  We combine :
*Experienced Tiki devs but that are unfamiliar with PostgreSQL  (2 so
far have expressed interest)
*With PostgreSQL wizards that have a need for a Wiki+CMS+Groupware hybrid

Both will have things to learn from each other :-)

> I assume there's already been appeals on the tikiwiki user mailing lists?

Yes. And I just added here:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/TikiWiki_CMS/Groupware

>  Ultimately the maintainer needs to be someone who uses tikiwiki regularly
> or they won't stick to it.

Exactly.

> Actually ... *does* anyone use TikiWiki with Postgres right now?

I don't know for sure. But I am pretty sure there are some old
versions out there (because AFAIK, it used to work).

The problem is that maybe some people will upgrade in 6-12 months,
only to find out at that time that PG support has been dropped.

Best regards,

M ;-)

--
Marc Laporte