Re: PGXN Hosting - Mailing list pgsql-www

From David E. Wheeler
Subject Re: PGXN Hosting
Date
Re: PGXN Hosting  (Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc>)
List pgsql-www
On May 11, 2011, at 12:18 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:

>> Looks like 5.12.3 has been built for sid:
>>
>>   http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=perl
>>
>> Is that do-able? Would save me some effort to use that (effort better spent on community auth integration).
>
> I would stringly prefer to stay on 5.10 from squeeze if that is doable, manual backporting of such a huge package
likeperl with its millions of forward and reverse dependencies will cause no end of pain :(
> Running the (available) postgresql 9.0 backport is a breeze compared to that however.

Well, if I could compile 5.12, I'd install it in /usr/local/. No need to replace the system Perl at all. That's how I
generallywork with this stuff: Leave the system Perl for system tasks; build my own Perl for the apps I build.

Best,

David