RE: Status of new relation file naming - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mikheev, Vadim
Subject RE: Status of new relation file naming
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Will this new storage manager replace the current one or will one be
> able to choose which storage manager to use (at compile time, at
> startup, for each table)?

This would be possible, but no way if new smgr will be overwriting one
(smgr nature affects access methods).

> PostgreSQL started as an extensible ORDBMS, but IIRC at some stage
> all other SMs were thrown out.

There was just one additional smgr for stable memory. If someone has
this feature in comp then he could try to resurrect it.

> I don't think it would be a good idea to completely abandon the
> notion of storage manager as a replacable component.

Smgr wrapper is still in place.

Vadim