Re: Using regular expressions in LIKE - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Nick Barr
Subject Re: Using regular expressions in LIKE
Date
List pgsql-general
Csaba
> > > Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 6:43 AM
> > > To: Pgsql-General@Postgresql.Org (E-mail)
> > > Subject: [GENERAL] Using regular expressions in LIKE
> > >

> > > Hi All,
> > > I'd like to "compress" the following two filter expressions
> > into one -
> > > assuming that it makes sense regarding query execution
performance.

> > > ... where (adate LIKE "2004.01.10 __:30" or adate LIKE
> > > "2004.01.10 __:15")
> > >
> > > into something like this:
> > >
> > > ... where adate LIKE "2004.01.10 __:(30/15)" ...
> > >
> > > which means that I need only those rows which has an "adate"
> > > field holding
> > > dates on 2004.01.10 every 30 or 15 minutes at the end. Is it
> > > possible to use
> > > some regular expressions or is it worth at all talking about?
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > > -- Csaba

How about:

where adate ~ '^2004-01-10 ([0-9]{2}):(15|30)'

There may be a more concise version but this seems to work. Please say
if you want a description of exactly what the string means.

Kind Regards,

Nick Barr
WebBased Ltd.

Tel: (01752) 764445
Fax: (01752) 764446
Email: nick.barr@webbased.co.uk

recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender. You
should not copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose or distribute
its contents to any other person.