Re: Column Aliases WAS: Prepping to break every past release... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From decibel
Subject Re: Column Aliases WAS: Prepping to break every past release...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mar 14, 2009, at 1:26 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Yes, I think aliasing (especially at the table level) would be handy.
>
> We already *have* table aliases.  They're called "views".  What we
> don't have is column aliases.

A view is not the same as a table alias. Even if you take into
account the new updatable views, you're still hosed if you add a
column to the table. I see that being a lot more useful than a simple
column alias (you're correct that we'd need to support calculated
ones, which is indeed a lot harder).
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  decibel@decibel.org